Thursday, June 18, 2020

Virtual Choir Camp - How Can I Keep From Singing?




A couple of months ago, my incredible friend and colleague Erica Glenn asked if I would be willing to help run a virtual choir camp this summer. I thought to myself, "A virtual choir camp? How will that work?" To say I was apprehensive would be an understatement.

But Erica is one of those people who charges through any challenge. She is undeterred by difficult things, and has the most keen knack for innovation and creativity. So with all that being said, somehow I said yes, I would help run this virtual choir camp. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.


My mind raced with questions... What will this look like? How is this going to work? Will I be able to teach students virtually? Honestly, I was scared to death and frustrated at the thought of not being able to teach the students in person. But I decided to push past my fears and dive off the deep end.

As this week has gone on, I've seen joy and smiles on the sweet faces of my campers. They are singing, they are engaged, and they are loving it!!! Music making is still happening in the homes of these campers from all over the world!


This week, I learned so much. I learned how to lead an online choral rehearsal. I learned how to interact with students through a screen and still feel a connection with them. I learned that even if we are not in the same room together, we can still make music together.

The biggest lesson I learned this week:

Say yes even when you're afraid. Wonderful things can happen when you have a little courage and take the plunge.

We Music Educators will keep the music making alive! Nothing can stop us! Let's be bold and brave together as we learn new ways to keep music in the lives of our precious children!

Check out more pictures from camp here!